Friday, May 3, 2013

Hurricane Lamp Re-Do

Have I told you I really enjoy going to Estate Sales? I mean I really, really love going. Sometimes I drag my husband along because he has a great eye for furniture. {He's also good at loading all the goodies} I like everything! At this particular sale I only found a couple of pieces on my list; a console table and two hurricane lamps. The moment I first saw them, I knew they were a must! Lots of potential and they would be great for my first tutorial. 

Here is the video version on YouTube if you would rather watch it! While you're there, please subscribe to our Channel and give it  "Thumbs Up" if you so desire! Thanks :)


I'm going to show you how to transform these Hurricane Lamps using a 2-step distressing technique in only 10 steps! 

Here goes....


Distressing Tutorial

Step 1: Clean the pieces really well. I dismantled each lamp and wiped everything down.

Step 2: Have all supplies handy {CeCe Caldwell's Destin Gulf Green, Vintage White, Clear Wax and brushes}



Step 3: Paint entire surface using the base color you are using. 

Destin Gulf Green drying

Step 4: After the base coat has dried, apply Clear Wax to entire surface using cheesecloth.

Step 5: The Clear Wax makes the color appear darker but will lighten as it is dries. 

Clear Wax has been applied

Step 6: After the Clear Wax has dried just a bit, apply the exterior color of paint. I used Vintage White. And since this is my first tutorial, I forgot to take a picture of this step. Sorry :(

Step 7: Again, after this exterior layer has had a little time to dry, apply another layer of Clear Wax; this time using a Chip Brush. 

Step 8: This time, do not wait for the wax to dry. If you do it will make it more difficult to distress. Instead, using more cheesecloth, begin to wipe off the Clear Wax rubbing harder in areas you want distressed. 

Step 9: After you are satisfied with the amount of distressing, let it dry completely. The colors will lighten. 

Step 10: Sit back and enjoy your masterpiece while thinking of your next project. 
You will be hooked!






 

So, in just 10 steps, I have brought renewal to a time worn piece. 
I loved these lamps before, but look at them now!!


I hope you have enjoyed this post, please feel free to leave me a comment. 

Happy, Happy, Happy Friday!!

~ Rhea

Linking Up Here:



Designed Decor
Fidlers Under One Roof
</>

Featured Here:


5 comments:

  1. love this! I am addicted to estate sales too! Thanks for sharing this tutorial, I have done many things with CCCP but haven't tried this yet, I cant wait to do this now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty! I love how all of the colors blend together. I am wanting to try CC paints! Thanks for linking up to Talkin’ About Thursday link party. I hope you will come back this week too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your compliments! Do you have a CC retailer near you? And yes, I will certainly be back for our link up!!

      Delete
  3. These turned out SO beautiful! Awesome paint job! Thanks for sharing at Give Me The Goods Monday! Can't wait to see what goods you bring next week! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete